"Edited to Add"....

This started as a pregnancy blog when I fell pregnant in May 2009 after four years of finding a donor, doing all the counselling / paperwork / tests and trying.

And now, thanks to a 4WD which skidded onto our side of the road, killing our baby daughter at 34w and injuring me, my partner and two of my stepdaughters on 27 December 2009, it has turned into something else. We didn't want this something else, but apparently it is all we've got to go on with.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A big dose of cyclone uncertainty




I was doing so well getting comfortable with uncertainty (ha ha), and then I got a text from my sister-in-law. The cyclone we thought would miss them is now heading almost directly for Cairns, where she lives, with my brother, and with my mum nearby. It has been upgraded to category 5 - which puts it in the ranks of hurricane Katrina. My brother was at sea (he works on dive boats on the great barrier reef), but thankfully, he got back to shore last night, and is now holed up in their Cairns apartment with mum and my sister in law.

There are lots of comforting thoughts I can have - that theirs is a cyclone-proof building, recently built, that they are on the second floor, with lots of mattresses up against the windows, water, food, and phone and internet access (for now). But I'm so scared, and the anxiety I thought I had just got a grip on is back with a vengeance. Those little budding follicles don't need the extra stress hormones though, and really, there is nothing to do but wait and see what happens with this storm.

5 comments:

  1. They sound like if they have to go through this there's in a really fortunate position - 2nd story of cyclone-proof building, etc - so I hope it just winds up being an annoyance that they'll be going sir-crazy indoors but will be otherwise safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♥ Keeping your family in my thoughts, and hoping they make it through this safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh love it is scary. and if it is any comfort at all, Jinny was brewed in a nasty stew of pretty high dose anxiety hormones, and so far she seems just lovely anyway - so don't worry too much about that bit at least. i really hope all your family (and everybody unlucky enough to be in yasi's path) come through this ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. goodness! thinking of your family today and hoping all they get is a good dose of cabin fever. grow follies grow! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds so scary. no, terrifying. i'm keeping you and them in my thoughts xx

    ReplyDelete